Summer does not seem like summers without a hint of cherry pie somewhere. However, it is not your classic cherry pie. Made with the thawed cherries, a blend of almonds, vanilla, and butter, it will treat you effortlessly in any season.
Cooking Time: About 1 hours 30 minutes
- 20 ounces frozen cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup toasted flaked almonds
- 1 (9-inch) Almond Pastry Crust, unbaked
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Thaw the cherries and drain the juices into a measuring cup.
Note: You can choose from sweet or sour cherries, and can adjust the sugar, as needed.
- Add enough water to the juice to equal ½ cup, if needed.
- Combine the juice, sugar, and cornstarch until smooth in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil and thickens.
- Add the butter, salt, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Mix well and then fold in the flaked almonds and cherries.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, blend the light brown sugar, sugar, and flour.
- Using your fingers, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add the almonds and mix well.
- Chill for 30 minutes before use.
- Pour the cooled cherry mixture into the prepared crust
- Top with the almond crumble for added flavor.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly in the centre and the topping is golden brown.
- Cool for 1 hour before serving.