There are people who like cheese with apple pie, but here is a recipe that brings you the harmony of both. Try this recipe today and enjoy a perfect dessert with your family and friends.
However, do not forget to top it with a bit of cheese.
Cooking Time: About 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1275 ml flour
- 10 ml salt
- 10 ml sugar
- 500 ml butter (chilled)
- 250 ml iced water
- 500 ml cheddar cheese (grated)
- 14 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 10 ml ground cinnamon
- 50 ml soft brown sugar
- 100 ml butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the flour (less 25 ml), salt and sugar together.
- Add the butter.
- Mix into a coarse meal consistency.
- Add the ice water and mix until a dough ball forms.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface.
- Cut a circle out of the pastry and press it into a greased pie plate.
- Combine the apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and remaining 25 ml flour.
- Mix until evenly coated.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust
- Top with the butter.
- Roll out a round pie lid using the remaining pastry.
- Place the pie lid on top of the apples.
- Crimp the edges to seal the pastry.
- Slice air vents into the pastry lid.
- Brush the egg yolk onto the pastry lid with a pastry brush.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Tip: Bake the pie until its crust is deep golden and the filing starts to bubble through the slits. Once done, cool it for 20 minutes before serving.